Western’s desire is to provide our families one place for their child’s K-12th grade Christian Education, and second, to provide our students with a comprehensive program that focuses on character, cultural literacy, and higher-level skills necessary for success in the 21st century.
- As a Christian school, we focus on Spiritual and Character growth, skill development in reading and mathematics, and critical intellectual knowledge in history, geography, language arts, music, science, and Bible.
- Our core skill and knowledge content are from a variety of best source materials. Below is a list of our intended curriculum.
- Language Arts and Literature – Core Knowledge Foundation
- History and Geography – Core Knowledge Foundation
- Bible – Association of Christian Schools International, Purposeful Design
- Mathematics – “Bridges” The Math Learning Center
- Handwriting – Handwriting Without Tears
- Grammar – Easy Grammar
- Writing – 6-1+ Traits of Writing
- Along with our challenging academic content, will also provide “special” subject classes to help our students grow and develop physically and creatively. These classes include:
- Physical Education
- Future plans are to add Spanish
- Student Management and Character Development focus on our “Pioneer Values” of Responsibility, Respect, Safety, Honesty, and Kindness. We will use these core principles to set classroom and school rules, as well as for focused engagement with students about their choices. Teachers will utilize the techniques of “Love and Logic” to help each child grow in their understanding of choices and consequences- ALL within the context of empathy and NOT anger or lecturing.
- Spiritual Development focuses on Biblical knowledge, devotion through worship/chapel, support through prayer, and collective and personal expression in service to others. Our school understands that a child’s spiritual development is the parent’s responsibility and that our role is to support you in that process. We, therefore, will avoid taking positions on doctrinal issues that divide us into denominations and focus instead on God’s Word. What we will teach, doctrinally as Truth, is found in our Statement of Faith. Western welcomes students from all backgrounds and therefore students and families are not required to profess Christianity. However, everyone is expected to respect our faith commitments and to listen respectfully as these commitments are presented as part of Western’s curriculum and other programs.
- Nuts and Bolts Information:
- K-12 School will start at 8 am and finish at 2:50 pm
- “Pioneer Afterschool Academy” is an aftercare program that runs after school until 5:30 pm M-F for an extra fee.
- Monday mornings will be a late start, the school will start at 9:00 am.
- The school will help families in similar areas of the city connect for carpooling co-ops.
- Parents are welcomed to volunteer in their child’s classes under the teacher’s direction. Parents are also welcome to attend every special activity, to eat lunch with their child, and to volunteer in many other areas around the school.
- Calendar items – our school will do it’s best to follow the major districts around us as to holidays, Christmas Break, and Spring Break.
Current Thoughts from our Parents and Teachers at Western…
“I love that the class sizes are going to be small in our Elementary school. My son’s 1st-grade class last year had over 30 students and it was hard for the teacher to work with every child.”
This is one of many reasons why so many parents are choosing Western Christian School for their child’s elementary education. Western is committed to capping each class at 22 students, which provides your child with the individual time needed for him or her to build a healthy relationship with the teacher.
“It is important to me that each student of mine feels welcomed and loved, that they are a unique creation of God, full of potential, and a promising future!”
This quote from one of our teachers captures the heart of all our elementary faculty. Full of passion and love for each student! Our seasoned teachers at Western are equipped to work with the unique learning styles of each student. Guiding students in discovering their talents and gifts are what makes each year so full of beautiful possibilities. Dynamic learning in the context of a loving environment is crucial for academic and personal growth.
“I am so excited to help out, when I can, in my child’s classroom!”
Parents like you are busy. but at Western our doors are always open to our parents. This collaborative and friendly atmosphere is the perfect culture for a school that thrives on community and community involvement.
We encourage you today to contact Western for your tour, meet the principal, and experience first hand the special place that Western can be for you and your family.